Sunday, January 28, 2018

Baby #5 Details

We are thrilled to be adding to our family in July!  Newborns are just the sweetest and they grow up into some pretty fantastic kids.



Here are some details from the pregnancy so far that I want to remember....

Novemeber 2, 2017:

The night we found out we were expecting was a perfect evening.  It was Friday, October 27, 2017 McKay and I had a date night.  We went to the temple to do some family names.  I am in love with the Idaho Falls temple the spirit is so strong there.  After the temple we went to Olive Garden for dinner.  We had the sweetest waitress who has kids that are similar ages to ours.  She could relate to our situation and was very helpful through our whole meal.  All through dinner I was silently debating in my head about whether to go get a pregnancy test after dinner.  I had taken one a day before my missed period and it had been negative.  Now three days later I was past my period and really wanted to know if I was expecting or not.  I was crampy and bloated (exactly how I feel before my period) so I felt fairly certain that I was NOT pregnant, just late.  Plus if I took a test and it was negative then that would be that and the guessing game would be over. In the end we had to run to the store anyways so I decided to grab one just because (trying to not get my hopes up too much).  It really helps that the tests are only .88 cents so I don't feel bad buying a few.

That night after I got home I took the test and watched it begin.  Yes I don't walk away for 2 mins I just watch it.  ;)  30 seconds in a very slight second line started to appear.  I was SO shocked (in a good way).  I had really convinced myself that this was not the month.  McKay and I were both thrilled and you couldn't have wiped those grins off our faces.  We went to bed and watched a movie as we fell asleep.  I was super tired and fell asleep fast and slept so well for the first half of the night.  Then in the middle of the night I woke up and went to the bathroom.  While in the bathroom I saw the positive test and was reminded again about the sweet little blessing I had in my belly (if having to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night wasn't enough of a reminder haha!)  After that I layed awake for an hour or so just day dreaming about life, pregnancy, and a new baby.

I love that they are going to be born in July.  It fits perfectly with my other kid's birthdays.  We will now have a July, August, September, October, and December birthdays.  I know this trend might not last forever, but it is fun for now.

I remember with Magnolia's pregnancy I had a lot of fear in the beginning of her pregnancy.  Since I was able to go on and have a healthy baby with her pregnancy I don't feel like I have as much fear this time.  I am definitely not ignorant to the idea of having a miscarriage, but I am grateful that the fear is not as strong this time.  I still feel excited a lot of the time and am grateful for this pregnancy.  Bring on the morning sickness!

I am now writing this January 15, 2018:

Morning sickness finally came on gradually during the 6th week of my pregnancy.  I was thankful that first week for it since that was a good sign that things were happening.  Week 7-9 I was fairly miserable and not a happy camper.  Lots of headaches, nausea, dizziness, and annoying food needs.  1-5 pm was when I was the most sick.  Then I would have a good few moments from 5-7 pm and then I was sick the rest of the night.  Sitting up at the computer was the worst, hence why this blog has taken a back seat (hopefully I can catch up soon!).  Often I would have McKay give me a back massage as I was falling asleep to help calm my stomach and nerves so that I could relax and go to sleep.

Thanksgiving was during my 8th week and I was not feeling great, but we survived and I was grateful for the distraction of family to help get my mind off the sickness.

My first appointment with my midwife was the week after Thanksgiving.  I was SO nervous for that first ultrasound.  I prayed and hoped that there would be a heartbeat.  The dr. doing the ultrasound was funny.  She also has 5 kids and was shocked to find out that I was having my fifth baby (I look pretty young to people who don't know me.  haha).  So the moment we saw the baby she yells out.  "Oh good there is only ONE!"  haha!  yes one is good.  Thank you for your concern. ;)  My official due date is July 4th which is a fun day!

And to be honest FIVE kids is still sinking in for me.  I can't believe it either most days.  Time just flies and I swear I was having my first baby yesterday.  My family had 4 kids so I really have no idea what to expect with 5 kids.  It will be an adjustment for sure.

Life kept plugging along and I was grateful for the distractions of Christmas through the month of December to keep my mind off being sick.  I love Christmas shopping and it was nice to be able to do it from my phone while I was laying on the couch.  We took a break in December from the kids extra activities so they had lots of time to play and enjoy the Christmas fun.

We didn't eat out a ton with this pregnancy as we have in the past during my other first trimesters.  Thankfully I was still able to cook simple meals and not go crazy with the food budget.  Although I did do 2-3 drive thru runs for lunch a couple days just to get us out of the house and a change of scenery.  I am not one who throws up during pregnancy, but I have to be eating constantly to avoid it.  I eat ALL the TIME during those first few weeks.  Nice in some ways because food is yummy.  But not nice at other times.  I wouldn't feel like eating anything, yet I knew I had to eat to not feel sick.  My favorite foods were hamburgers, salads, plain rice, cereal, plain chips, and hash browns.  Boring food were best. 

We stayed home a lot which normally isn't like me, but I just didn't feel like going anywhere unless I had to.  I gained weight very fast with this pregnancy and that stressed me out.  I didn't love getting dressed and I struggled hiding the bump/bloat that was coming on fast.  I really struggle with the hormonal ups and downs of the first trimester and was not my normal happy self.  I was crabby and didn't love taking the time or energy to do "extra stuff".  Now after 5 pregnancies I realize that this is just how my body reacts in the first few months of pregnancy.  Still not fun, but I am grateful to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and things will balance out eventually (usually around 15 weeks of pregnancy).

We told the kids about the pregnancy when I was 10 weeks along.  They were thrilled and asked lots of questions.  Declin (who seems to be the most excited about the new baby) still asks daily about when the baby is going to pop out of my tummy.  It is going to be a long 6 months for that guy.  :)  Thankfully they love the 4th of July and are excited for fireworks AND a new baby.

We told our families a few days later and are grateful for their love and support with our announcement.

We got to have a second ultrasound at the 13 week appointment since we struggled to find the heartbeat with the Doppler.  That was a first for me since usually they can easily find it after 12 weeks.  I guess my placenta is in front so that was getting in the way.  But thankfully everything looked great with baby and they were growing well.

I am now writing this January 28, 2018-

I am currently 17.5 weeks along.  This pregnancy is flying by and I think July is going to be here before we know it.  I have finally gotten my eating back under control and am exercising daily (even if it is a short workout).  I feel much better now!  I was having daily, hourly heartburn and now that is all gone.  I have energy now and I am enjoying the 2nd trimester.


The biggest news that we have had in the baby department is that we found out the gender! 

Drum roll.... baby #5 is a BOY!!!




This baby was a tiebreaker for us so we were happy either way.  The 3 younger kids and my mom came to the ultrasound with me.  The boys were SO excited to find out about the baby brother.  They kept fist bumping the air and saying "Yes, boys win!"  Then I looked down at Magnolia and realized she was now surrounded by brothers.  haha!  She will survive though!



After the ultrasound, we called McKay and told him the fun news (we also took a video during the ultrasound for him to watch later.  He was in California with his family during the ultrasound).  Declin yelled out "It's a Boy!"  Then we bought some blue decorations and put them up in the basement to surprise Adalyn with when she got home.  She wasn't super excited at first, but it is safe to say we have all gotten used to the idea and are excited for a tiny brother to be joining our family.


I have now bought a few tiny summer baby boy outfits and have some nursery decoration ideas floating around in my head.  The last big concern we have now is to pick out a name.  And currently our list has zero names on it so we have our work cut out for us.  eek!!  With Magnolia we finalized the name in the hospital after she was born and that felt too stressful to me so I want to have a name picked out BEFORE I go into labor.  Hopefully we come up with one soon! 

Life is just crazy!  I have learned so much through this journey of parenthood and am a bit scared about all that I still have to learn.  But we are so grateful for this sweet spirit that will soon come to our house and all that we get to learn from him.  Keep growing buddy and we will see you in a few months!
 

       
 



           

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I am just so thrilled for you. You are such a wonderful mother, and those children are so so lucky to have you. I've been bad about keeping up with blogs lately, and I've missed reading about you! I'm so glad that you're feeling better. Yay for baby boys!

    ReplyDelete