During the summer we attempted one day of potty training with him just to get a feel for where he was at. But after one day, we quickly realized he was not ready. So we held off for a few more months. During those months I DREADED the idea of potty training. Especially the idea of potty training a boy. I was just picturing all the accidents and poopy underwear I was going to have to clean. Plus teaching him to keep things from spraying everywhere. Blah!
Finally I was tired of thinking about it and I just wanted it over with.
We started a week and a half ago.
The first few hours were the worst part. He had 3 accidents back to back. But I could tell that his mind was just processing it all so we stuck with it. By the afternoon of that first day he was getting it. When McKay got home from work he had only had the 3 accidents in the morning and I let myself get a little bit excited. Could it really be THAT easy?!
Since that first day he has had 2 more accidents, and is now in underwear full time. He is great about telling me when he needs to go and has good control so that we don't have to sprint to the bathroom each time. Night time he is still in diapers and wakes up dry 1/2 the time so I bet in the next month or two he will be out of diaper completely.
I am so grateful that potty training him went so smoothly. After having 2 kids in diapers for the last 13 months I am excited to be down to only one child.
I don't think there is a one-size fits all method for potty training, but for us waiting until they are almost 3 has worked great. Then we just give them a small treat after each time they use the potty successfully. Oh and we let them drink juice (which is usually not around at our house) on the first few days of potty training so that they have lots of chances to practice.
The last trick that works REALLY well with Jensen was layering his underwear (you can see it in the picture above). We bought some of the Gerber training pants from Walmart that are slightly thicker then normal underwear and then we let him pick out a fun package of Cars underwear. Then we layered the training pants under his fun underwear (I promise it wasn't that thick) and then put his clothes on as normal. This layering method was awesome because when he DID have an accident he of course soaked his clothes and underwear, BUT nothing got on the carpet or in his shoes. I didn't have to clean up puddles all over the house and my newish carpet was saved from the lovely peed on smell. This little trick was truly a game changer for me and made me a lot less nervous to venture out of the house with him knowing that at least he wouldn't get stuff everywhere if he DID have an accident. I just made sure to have a change of clothes and we were good.
Anyway SO proud of this guy and his potty training success. He is so excited to be a "big boy" and loves his new found freedom as much as I do. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment