Saturday, October 10, 2015

Adalyn at 4

Four.  Oh this is a fun stage!  Really.  Three years old was kinda rough, but four has been great so far.
Adalyn has SO much personality and she has started to develop her imagination more.  Her play is still pretty realistic, as in she usually makes up stories about a mom and a dad and their kids... real life stuff.  She doesn't usually make up stories about dragons or pirates.   She can spend all day setting up a tea party for the whole family to come to.  She loves "hosting" sleepovers, dinners, and reading time for anyone who will play.  Stuffed animals and baby dolls are not enough she needs real human beings to show up to these events.  She really does not enjoy playing on her own but between Jensen, Declin, or the backyard neighbor friends she can usually find someone to go along with her plans.

She doesn't dress up in princess dresses as much anymore.  She mostly insists upon wearing her purple nigh gown.  The thing is starting to fall apart, but she doesn't seem to notice.

Adalyn started chores at about 3 1/2 years old, but not until recently has she actually been helpful (as in it actually makes less work for me).  She usually still insists upon me watching her or helping her do her chores, but she can unload the dish washer herself and is fully independent in the bathroom and getting herself dressed.  That small independence is SO wonderful to me.

She no longer takes an afternoon nap.  Sometimes I can persuade her to sleep on a Friday afternoon, but other then that she just has independent quiet time while the boys sleep.  Bedtime for her is around 8:00 but her and Jensen don't usually fall asleep until 9.  This isn't a huge issue this year, but next year when she is in school I am hoping that they will got to bed around 7:30.

Preschool at home is perfect.  I kept second guessing myself all summer about not sending her to a preschool as I talked to EVERY other mom out there that was sending their kids, but in the end I stuck with my goal to home school her (just for preschool) and I am SO happy that I did.  We both love it and the flexibility in our days is awesome.  She is really good with her numbers and math concepts seem to come easily to her.  Letters are still a work in progress as she is still working on her lower case letters.  Her favorite subject that we have done so far was studying about birds.  We got a little book about birds from the library and she carried it around with her for weeks looking at the pictures and telling me all about them.  She especially loved the owls.  She is going to do great in school next year and she is already talking about kindergarten.  Recently, I have heard wonderful things about our elementary school which has gotten me excited for her to go to kindergarten.

For Halloween she wants to be a butterfly fairy.  She also tells me that she wants Santa to bring her an Anna (from frozen) dress.  She makes holidays so fun!



Her favorite toys here at our house are her baby dolls.  She has one favorite doll that she has played with since she was one years old.  She also loves her dress up shoes.  "Camping" in the empty lot behind our house is also a favorite activity.

Something else she loves to do is get mixing bowls and spoons from the kitchen and organize her toys in them.  She really is good at matching things up and creating piles.


She is getting pretty good at perfecting her selfie as shown below...



She loves to "practice" dancing and is getting excited for dance classes that she gets to start when she turns 5.  Secretly I have always hoped that she would want to take dance lessons since I also did dance as a kid, but I never tried to force my ideas on her so I was really excited when she came to me a few weeks ago and asked to go to dance class.  I hope she loves it too!  Although if she doesn't love it once she tries it that is totally fine too, just want her to find something that SHE loves.

Her favorite foods are fries and ketchup, chicken nuggets, cheese, grapes, and carrots.  She also loves fruity candy.  She isn't a huge cake or chocolate lover (crazy right?!)

She is a mama's girl through and through and still has a rough time when I leave her at home.  But she also really enjoys daddy's attention and he is usually the one that will let her be hands on and learn how to do things like dishes, shoveling dirt, or baking something.  He has so much more patience for that sort of thing then I do.

After Adalyn's best friend moved this summer Adalyn had to figure out how to make new friends.  All of her old besties from joy school and the neighborhood were no longer there and you could tell she felt a little lost in the friends department.  It has been interesting as she has had to figure things out and meet some new people.  But just tonight she was telling us all about her new friends from primary.  I can tell friends will be a big influence in her life and I hope she can choose some good ones that bring out the best in her.  Oh the things we get to worry about as parents!

Adalyn you are amazing and we love having you in our family!







  

      

1 comment:

  1. She is so big and you can tell she has such a great personality. What a lucky little girl to have you as her mom.

    ReplyDelete