Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Celebrating McKay

McKay turned 31 on June 3rd.  Last year we had a party with some friends to celebrate him turning 30 so this year was a little more low key.  His birthday landed on his Friday off work so we were lucky and got to spend the whole day with him.

I am someone who loves to plan my birthday celebrations.  I love the feeling of being able to do whatever I want.  I love the freedom of being a little bit self-centered for one day and not feeling guilty about it .  McKay on the other hand can barely pick out which dessert he wants.  He never wants any presents and would prefer to eat at home then go out to eat.  So while it took a few attempts of asking I think we figured out some things that he wanted to do and I hope he had a fun birthday.

The day started out with a walk around the river and then we let the kids play at the park after.

That afternoon he had some free time to work in his garden and just do the projects that he wanted to do.  I don't think I have shown you a picture of his garden yet, but he loves it.  We are still working all the kinks out, but he is sure having fun experimenting with it.  The garden was also his birthday gift this year (at least the supplies to build the garden were) so it was fitting that he worked in it on his birthday.
  

That evening we had pork chops and sweet potatoes and then I made a birthday truffle for his cake.  He loves cake and pudding mixed together so this turned out to be a fun dessert for him.   Adalyn insisted that he needed a gift to open so she and I grabbed a new work shirt for him at Kohls.  Then she wrapped it in a giant gift bag.  :)






About a week after McKay's official birthday we had a fun overnight getaway to Salt Lake.  Thanks to my parents for watching the kids!  McKay *loves* little getaways like this together so we counted it as part of his birthday celebrations as well.  We saw the new Jungle Book movie, shopped a little bit, went to The Garden restaurant on top of the Joseph Smith Memorial building, and finished the weekend off with a needed but slightly painful trip to Babies R Us to buy carseats, a stroller, and all of the essentials for baby #4.  We are all set, can she come now?!  (kidding, we will let her grow some more).  Parenting is tough and sometimes it is hard to find ways to connect with the kids constantly around.  So we love getaways and getting to have real adult conversations and spend one on one time with each other.  :)


Thanks McKay for letting us spoil you for a change (he is always so good to the kids and I).  Happy Birthday!  
  

1 comment:

  1. The garden looks amazing! I love how you put so much effort into finding things that HE wanted as a way to help him feel special. A great example of what birthdays should be.

    And that getaway sounds so fun! I think we need to incorporate more things like this, because you're right - sometimes it's hard to connect with a growing family. You guys are the best!

    ReplyDelete